5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Hard start and now won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start and now won't start when cold

HI, I'm new so I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance I have a 2004 Dodge 2500, new to me about 3 months ago. Always seemed to have a "hard start", ie would crank quite a bit before firing up, but always fired. First cold snap here in Colorado, about 34 degrees in a.m. it wouldnt start. Thought it was a battery, jumped it started right up. Started fine about 12 times yesterday. Today, no start in a.m. (about 28 degrees). Couldnt get jump to work, plugged in, got a ride to work, came back about 1 hr or so, fired right up.

Suggestions? Got batteries tested yesterday, guy said 975 on one and over 1100 on other... Guys at work said it's common and you just need to plug it in. That seems ridiculous since it's only 30 degrees and I will often be at work for 10+ hrs with no plug.... gonna be a long winter... LOL.

Any advise on preventative maintenance, etc is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with the same problem, OK in the summer months and won't start as weather gets colder. I drove for 3 hours in sleet, stopped for 15 mins and truck wouldn't start up. Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Diesel Fan

check your intake heater to make sure it is working. The heater is usually good but the relay may have failed and no power getting to heater. You need to check with key on and while wait to start light is on, a assistant may be helpful for this. All you need is a test light and about 5 minutes to check out.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, srsennett! I'm hoping you are right.... that would be a nice easy fix. I'll let you know what happens..........

Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Giav05
I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with the same problem, OK in the summer months and won't start as weather gets colder. I drove for 3 hours in sleet, stopped for 15 mins and truck wouldn't start up. Any ideas?
In 15 minutes or even an hour your engine will have enough heat in it to run easier than a cold start. I would check your fuel pressure at the CP3 Supply should be around 15psi and the rail on start should be around 10k. Gauges are a great idea! It is a fuel issue just have to figure it out! Try to unplug your FCA on the CP3 if it knocks and sounds like crap GOOD now plug it back in How long did it take to recover? 30 seconds or less good more than that check your pressure relief valve. If that's the issue call Todd at T&C Diesel for more info and a new better PRV!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Thank you, Dangerous 1965. Some real food for thought, there. Will check into it. Really great to have this online support!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
In 15 minutes or even an hour your engine will have enough heat in it to run easier than a cold start. I would check your fuel pressure at the CP3 Supply should be around 15psi and the rail on start should be around 10k. Gauges are a great idea! It is a fuel issue just have to figure it out! Try to unplug your FCA on the CP3 if it knocks and sounds like crap GOOD now plug it back in How long did it take to recover? 30 seconds or less good more than that check your pressure relief valve. If that's the issue call Todd at T&C Diesel for more info and a new better PRV!
i am having no start problems it`ll start with either. i tried the unplugging the FCA for a few moments it would recover in about 15 sec. then it would died i tried it a few times with the same results it just going dead.??? any idea
my trouble came from running fuel from a transfer tank that was full of rust and water a goop. i have removed the tank and cleaned it my fuel pressure does drop with load my truck is a 03 with the 250 hp motor i know i`m and idiot i had the truck for over 6 years then i jack up the fuel system with that .

Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Colorado on an elk hunt back in November of 2011 and I had a no start issue up in camp. Had to hook up to my generator and plug her in to get it to fire. For the entire winter if it was 40 or below I had to plug in. Then it got to the point I was plugging in at 60 degrees. Then it turned to a NO START unless I shoot it with ether. No smoke, no hesitation, idles perfect, pulls like a team of mules, fuel economy is great, just won't start!
I'M LOOKING FOR INJECTORS AS I WRITE THIS! I'm in total denial that it's an injector problem "but" I have guy's on another site telling me not to even run her or I "will" blow the motor! Now I'm spooked into spending the jick on injectors at least for peace of mind! Been having this issue for a year now and the motor runs like a swiss watch, just won't start????? Anyone out there feel the same about her popping a piston due to a bad injector or two?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM

i wont be driving mine having to start it on either mostly i feel that the next time it wont fire then there will be stuck. if your about to get injectors for yours please keep me posted. mine will be down till next year unless i take a freaking loan out on the old girl and get injectors and a cp3 at the same time. which looks like whats gonna happen

Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't go anywhere without the ether! I only give it a 2 second shot after leaving the key on for about 30 seconds to make sure the heat grid isn't on! Kaboom, but would that be so bad? Hmmmm.........luv my truck!
I see on the home page where you can put in a request for a parts quote from vender members. Did that, now I wait!
I did find a guy in Iowa that will do the entire injector job for $2050.00 parts and labor with a one year warranty.