Ford Truck and Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Forum Discussion of General Topics related to All Ford Trucks as well as the Diesels in them

Advice on a first diesel purchase

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a first diesel purchase

Hey all, I'm posting in the generic Powerstroke section to see if I can get some better responses. I was about to pull the trigger on a deal with a 2000 7.3 with 146k miles, but I examined the truck in person and found leaks galore (after coming back 'clean' from a mechanic checkup the day before), and had a bad gut feeling anyways, so I left it.

Here's my situation: I've got a budget of ~$13,000 (trade in+cash) and am having a difficult time choosing between the Big 3 in a high-mileage range (150-250k miles). I only have a couple thousand in reserves for any major repairs, and right now I'm partial towards 7.3 Powerstrokes for power, reliability and general awesome looks. Also a cummins fan, but weary about high-mileage body work for them. Duramax I'm trying to shy away from because I'm only finding '03-06's, a.k.a. the obvious injector issue years.

What kind of advice could you give me, given my situation? Is a 220k mile 7.3 too much unless I've got a large bankroll for upcoming repairs? Would a 150k mile 03-07 cummins require a lot of bodywork? I need some help here! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

In my opinion, no 220k isn't too much but the price needs to reflect it... I purchased my 95 with 218k on it... I just picked up a 2000 with 193k on it... You need to be realistic though and realize that it isn't a new truck... You can't be ignorant to the fact that you will have to do repairs and maintenance... It really doesn't matter if you buy a dodge ford toyota... your buying a used truck and each of them will have to be repaired and maintained. period...

Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM

I understand your response, but I'm mainly asking what major repairs I can expect at that mileage, and since you own what I'm looking at essentially, it would be great to know what you had to do or common things needing to be done. I know diesels cost more in price and regarding maintenance, and that nothing lasts a long time without good, consistent maintenance.

Right now I'm even just considering staying with a gasser, since I may not have the bankroll for needed major repairs at that mileage and age. I was also looking at fords triton 5.4 super duty, since it may be easier on my wallet, but like I said, I'm not new to diesels, but I am a first time buyer and I want to make sure it's a good investment.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

It really depends on the maintenance of the previous owner, If you buy a truck that has been maintained, you may need to do nothing...

For my 95, I haven't had to do much...Water pump, vacuum pump, transmission seals, under valve cover harnesses, glow plugs, glow plug relay, etc...

I haven't had the 00 long enough to do much but i've already replaced batteries, glow plugs, glow plug relay, one injector...

At the mileage you are looking at... make sure the injectors have been touched because they 220k is about the average life of a set of factory injectors before needing rebuilt... Transmissions are expensive to rebuild if they haven't been touched and auto trans have a hard time behind the diesel engine unless they are built by somebody who knows what they are doing...

In my opinion, if you don't "need" a diesel and could be just as happy in a gas truck, I would go with the gas.

Not sure If I'm helping but it's hard to tell you whats going to happen with the trucks your looking at. You might get lucky and not have to do much or you might have to replace many parts...

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks power smoker, that was the answer I was lookin for! I don't absolutely need a diesel, but I love them...just the same as no one really needs a corvette or challenger but they are a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I figured the 7.3 would hold up to my driving environment the best, but like I said, 220k there are obvious risks involved. If injectors have not been serviced, it's pretty much a deal breaker at that age/mileage, since I don't have the immediate cash to do them and I'd be sidelined for a while. By the way, do you replace them usually all together or do they go out sporadically?

How would you feel about gasses in the 100k range? Same risks, depending on prior maintenance or try to grab one in the 5 digit mileage? I really like the '08 f250 body style, but most are fleets or high mileage

Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
BOMBARDIER

For injectors... If they are worn, then I'd replace the entire set. However there are exceptions like the superduty i just bought, one of my injectors failed because of a piece inside of it... It's not that it was worn, just had a failure. I'm just replacing the one injector...

For gassers, again, maintenance. I believe that is the key to vehicle ownership. I would suggest trying to find the lowest mileage truck you can but i know it's not always that easy.