Chevy/GMC Duramax 01-04 LB7 Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with LB7 Duramax Turbo Diesel Engines

02 Duramax Hard Starting

Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Duramax Hard Starting

Hey, I just got my first duramax a couple months ago and now I'm already having some problems. It first started to get a little harder to start about every other time I started it and then probably a solid month to month and a half of it continually getting harder to start it finally wouldn't start. We were able to limp it home by taking the battery terminals off and reset the electronics which had enough juice left to start it. To fix this I did the fuel filter housing rebuild kit from US Diesel, which was very simple to install, and now it starts!!! But it still isn't back to normal because it takes on average about 10 to 15 seconds of turning over for it to finally fire. It never used to be this hard to start and it's not because of the cold weather or not being plugged in. So I took it to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and had them run a scanner on it and these 5 codes came up, Trouble Code: P0380, P0234, P0700, P0102 and P0181. I still think that it might be getting air in the lines someplace else, but honestly I'm not sure and just want to drive my duramax again
If anyone has some ideas of what it could be or something I could troubleshoot it would be greatly appreciated OH, and btw it is still completely stock besides a cat delete and the injectors have been replaced already also

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

you have a gpc code, a maf code a boost code a trans ref. code temp sensor code. Id clear all these and see wich ones come back. Dont see any codes that would cause a hard start. I would check or have someone check balance rates on injectors.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Diesel Fan

so basically the codes that are coming up aren't affecting the hard start?? how do you check the balance rates on the injectors yourself, or how much would it cost to have it done? thanks for the help I really just want it to be running right

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Diesel Wrench

at most the gpcm code may have a little bit to do with it, but ive seen a bunch with glow plug codes that still start ok. I wouldnt look to the glow plugs or module until you get balance rates checked, any diesel shop or gm dealer can check them with a scan or you can check yourself if you have access to a scan tool. The edge programmers can display inj. bal. rates on the attitude monitor too.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Diesel Fan

alright, i'll check the injector balance rates and see what kind of feedback I get with that first and hopefully find out what the problem is. Just wondering but I've talked to diesel friends about glow plugs and I have been told mine doesn't have them?? Not at all sure just wanted to get some clarification

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Diesel Wrench

duramaxes use glow plugs and intake heaters depending on the year

Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Diesel Fan

mine is a 2002 chevy 2500, do you know if its one or the other?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Diesel Wrench

they all will have glow plugs no matter wich year

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Diesel Fan

well it turns out it wasn't the relays and the culprit is the glow plugs just curious if there was a brand that was the best bang for your buck and what people have used before????

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Diesel Fan

well I had all the codes cleared about 2 weeks ago and have been driving it a little bit after installing the fuel filter housing rebuild kit and just went to check the codes again and only two came back. They are PO234 and PO181 and didnt know if this would be a sign for another problem or if this could be causing the hard start. Thanks for the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Duramax Hard Starting