Chevy/GMC Duramax 04.5-05 LLY Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with LLY Duramax Turbo Diesel Engines

Duramax Headache

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax Headache

Hello,
I was hoping someone on here could help me. I have a 2004.5 duramax VIN2 and I am going to replace the injectors by myself. Since the dealership wants a friggin arm and leg to do it. Any tips on how to go about it? I know the cylinder numbers I am replacing at the moment. #3, 2, and 8. Any advice on what to do and what not to do? Please help Ive searched high and low for help and this is a last resort.

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Do you have a lot of room in the engine bay? Maybe remove the inner fenders to gain more access.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 113 Likes on 109 Posts

unlike the LB7 the process is pretty straight forward for the LLY

remove any necessary junk, hoses, etc to gain access to the injector, clean the area around the injector with compressed air or your preferred method to remove dirt and debris, unplug the injector harness, remove the clip holding the return line in and pull the return line. remove the injector fuel line, remove the injector hold down. gently pull out the injector. a flat blade screwdriver can be used to carefully pry it out if it is stubborn. make sure the copper washer is not left in the injector hole. if it is then fish it out. make sure the injector hole is clean, put the new O-rings on the injector with a little grease and install a new copper crush washer. insert injector and injector hold down. torque to 22 ft lbs. the rest is basically reverse of removal. prime/crank and start

should be able to do all 8 in under 4 hours

Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004LB7
unlike the LB7 the process is pretty straight forward for the LLY

remove any necessary junk, hoses, etc to gain access to the injector, clean the area around the injector with compressed air or your preferred method to remove dirt and debris, unplug the injector harness, remove the clip holding the return line in and pull the return line. remove the injector fuel line, remove the injector hold down. gently pull out the injector. a flat blade screwdriver can be used to carefully pry it out if it is stubborn. make sure the copper washer is not left in the injector hole. if it is then fish it out. make sure the injector hole is clean, put the new O-rings on the injector with a little grease and install a new copper crush washer. insert injector and injector hold down. torque to 22 ft lbs. the rest is basically reverse of removal. prime/crank and start

should be able to do all 8 in under 4 hours
Thanks a lot buddy, I have been stressing over this thing for too long. Have a little more confidence now. Thanks a bunch

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thanks a lot buddy, I have been stressing over this thing for too long. Have a little more confidence now. Thanks a bunch

Last edited by banjerplayer18; 12-24-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost