Diesel Engine Conversions Diesel Engine Swaps , 4bt Diesel and All Diesel Engine Conversion Related Discussions

Kubota Ranger Swap

Old 12-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Kubota Ranger Swap

For 9 days now I have had my 03 Ranger Kubota engine swap running. It for sure is no bomb but I can set the cruise at 65 and boogey down the road. Factory gauges all work, oil pressure reads backwards but I'll get the straightened out soon. Anyway I'm awaiting your cheers and Jeers. Haven't figured out how to do pictures but hopefully will someday. Feel free to ask questions and show me no mercy.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

cool deal man.......so is this Kabota a 3 cylender or what?

you still runnin the OEM tranny?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Diesel Fan

It is a 4 banger, 122 cubes, 60 rip roaring horsepower. I have the Ranger transmission with an adaptor plate.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Site Mascot

cool beans man...........so where did you find an adaptor for that? manual or auto tranny?

also how are you running all the electronics on the 03 Ranger?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Kubota Ranger Swap

I had the adaptor made at local machine shop out of 1" aluminum, Used Kubota flywheel with Ranger 4 banger disc and pressure plate, had to cut a notch in bellhousing for starter pinion, spaced out stock clutch slave cyl. .25" because adaptor should have been .75". Engine is tilted 14 degrees ot drivers side to clear front differential housing and oil pan notched about 1.5" to clear front axle. AC, alt., and PS are on drivers side so things got a little tense but it all works with a serpentine belt. All gauges work, the tach was a real struggle, spent 2 days making a toothed wheel out of .125"x2" bent in a circle and fit inside an Olds serpentine belt pulley. Notched the edge so it looks like a big hole saw. No one was more surprised then I when it worked. It is a new engine I got from Burden surplus and I used the flywheel that came with, just had to turn it down flat and redrill as it was built for a hand clutch

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Miyagi (08-03-2009)
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Site Mascot

hot damn man.......good job

so what kinna milage ya gettin from this rig?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitmore
cool deal man
cool beans man
hot damn man.......good job

X2!!

Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Next time I'm up near your area, I'll have to stop by and take a look!!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you need to figure out how to post pics now! Sounds awesome.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Got 20.3 mpg first tank but that was cutting firewood and getting stuck at 20 below. Should have been cutting wood all fall while I was working on this thing. This tank is doing a whole lot better. I cut off everything that I didn't have a place to plug in on the engine wiring harness. Found the hot wire to the distributor box and it goes to a constant duty relay for the fuel shutoff, SSBC vac pump which blows the fuse everytime I start below -15 but works fine otherwise, also to Chevy Cavalier cooling fan. I have a seperate relay for the glow plugs. Oil pressure switch on Kubota is normally close and Ford is normally open so gauge is backwards. So far haven't come up with anything to match weird metric threads. Got rid of Ford electric fuel pump but still have gauge. Ford had 2 water temp senders, don't know why but built a little box right next to the thermostat and put them both in and it workd. They had O rings so I dodged the metrics on that. I also learned that you don't put your spring belt tensioner downstream of the alternator so had to rig up a manual belt tensioner. I didn't have many options on that. It was the biggest hassle of all getting all that stuff hung on and line up. The lower radiator hose on the engine came out about 9" higher then the one on the radiator and close enough together so that no way a hose was going to work so I made a 9" box with 1.5" square tubing vertical with sawed off king nipples top and bottom pointing in appropriate directions and put a small (1440) water heater element in complete with thermostat on the side. Don't need glow plugs if it is above 0. Cruise control works fine. Throttle control is really weird until you get used to it. Industrial governor. By all means come and look it over. I'm pretty easy to find.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Miyagi (08-03-2009)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kubota Ranger Swap