Alternative Fuels , Additives , Fluids Diesel Fuel, Off Road Diesel Fuel , Bio Diesel , Synthetics , Oils , Lubes , Fuel Additives , Emulsifiers , Demulsifiers , All Alternative Fuels , Additives and Fluids

No Gelling - Fuel Heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
K50
Diesel Bomber
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Default No Gelling - Fuel Heater

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of gelling fuel... If I'm spending all this money on winter additives to keep my truck running that destroy the lubricity of the fuel, and none of the oil companies are bothering to do anything to fix the issues, why don't I just invest in a fuel tank heater?

I came across these guys, has anyone had any experience with their products?

In-Tank Fuel Warming
http://www.wolverineheater.com/fuel-...er/index.shtml

With my titan tank, I'm thinking I might be able to fit something decent in it to warm the fuel, but I haven't seen much in the way of aftermarket heaters for diesel pickup trucks...maybe that's something I should look into designing myself...
Anyways, if anyone has and leads on where to find one and how much they cost, post away!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 151 Posts

Our military trucks have a so called "winterization kit", it is made by Webasto. It contains
a fuel tank heater, which is heated by a so called blue heater (very common in Europe). it also heats up the engine, the coolant and the inside of the cab. Usually its switchéd on a half hour before you leave and with a power of 5000Watts(!!) your truck is pretty warm and ready to fly.Coolant has operating temperature. It búrns diesel and has a seperate fuel line from the tank. The only disadvantage is the consumption of current. as a rule of a thumb: heating time= driving time. That means if you heat half an hour you have to drive about half an hour to recharge the battery. or you have to put a charger on your truck.
I love my blue heater, because no more cold starts, warm cab and a good start to work.
Usually you don't need to heat the tank. The fuel filter is the problem. Parafinecristallization in the filter plugs it. An electric filter heater(made by Bosch) prevents it.

Hope this helps
Greetings Michael

The following users liked this post:
K50 (02-11-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

You might try looking on Avalanche Engineering's website. I read an article about Steve Rumore's biodiesel setup, and he said he made a filter heater for about 10-15 bucks that circulates coolant around the filter. From what I could gather, he tapped into the coolant lines, and ran a coil of tubing around the fuel filter. Might be something worth looking into.

Avalanche Engineering - (970)884-7716 - Extreme 4-wheeling parts and accessories to complete turn key vehicless

K50 (02-11-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 151 Posts

The coolant has to be warmed up before it helps to prevent clogging the fuel filter, right?
This can be done by a electric heater or a block heater. The block heater power is usually about 500 to 700 Watt. Thats not very much to heat an engine block and the coolant...
This is a fine solution if the engine is already running. A lot of veggie oil burner do this over here to keep the oil thin enough to pass the fuel filter easier.

Renault has done this a couple of years. Now they have switched to the eletric fuel heater.
What about a combination of both? Electric and coolant?

Last edited by Deezel Stink3r; 02-11-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
K50
Diesel Bomber

Thanks for the tips guys!

I might try a home made remedy.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It wont be cheap but you could use an ESPAR heater and use a coolant/fuel heat exchanger (with everything plumbed into the engines cooling system) to warm the fuel pre-filter.

Should work nicely by warming the fuel in the line before fireup plus the added bonus of the entire cooling system being warmed up also! Then, when the truck is running the coolant continues to warm the fuel. But you will have to keep an eye on fuel temperature, if the fuel starts getting too hot you will need to find a way to regulate it

but they are pricey little units...

K50 (10-27-2009)
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
K50
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by ykdave
It wont be cheap but you could use an ESPAR heater and use a coolant/fuel heat exchanger (with everything plumbed into the engines cooling system) to warm the fuel pre-filter.

Should work nicely by warming the fuel in the line before fireup plus the added bonus of the entire cooling system being warmed up also! Then, when the truck is running the coolant continues to warm the fuel. But you will have to keep an eye on fuel temperature, if the fuel starts getting too hot you will need to find a way to regulate it

but they are pricey little units...
I just talked with both GM here and Eskimo Refrigeration...Both refused to do an install of a fuel line heater. Same principle as that - coolant warmed.

For now I'm going to stick with a winter front...hopefully that will work when it's -25F. If my fuel still gels up I'm going to say screw the dealership and install a fuel line heater myself. It looks like a real pain in the *** to install though. Either that or a fuel filter heater...

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I have not had any trouble with gelling fuel (at least none that I know about). I am picky where I buy fuel from.

So are you looking for something that runs on 12V or 120V AC? Are you talking about an inbed tank?

This is a longshot but this could be as simple as installing some home heat trace like they use on water lines:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...g%2BCables.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ng%2BCable.jsp

I dont suspect youd have to heat it very much to prevent gelling.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 10-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
K50 (10-27-2009)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
K50
Diesel Bomber

I could always use an inverter in the cab of the truck, and run a line out.
Thanks Dr.

I'm hoping I have better luck this year...planning to drive down to TX again in December.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I thought you were concerned about fuel gelling with the truck just sitting in the driveway.

There may be some heat traace that would run on 12V if thats what youre looking for.

Quick Reply: No Gelling - Fuel Heater