5.9L 24V Performance Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps Related To Performance And Longevity

Coolant filter plumbing

Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant filter plumbing

I want to install a coolant filter after seeing all of the junk that was caught on my Dad's 02 PSD. However, I am not sure about the plumbing. It needs to be setup as a bypass system. I am thinking about tapping into the heater hoses with tees for supply and return. The PSD kit gets coolant from a port in the water pump, and returns it to the coolant overflow bottle. Theirs is a little different that ours, in that there is coolant flow through the overflow at all times. Does anyone have any ideas? Some of the B Series engines used for industrial purposes have coolant filters, correct? Maybe there is already a factory kit out there.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

never seen one but i dont see why you couldnt tap into the heater line and it wouldnt work

Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

coolant will most likely follow the path of least resistance and plumbing it bypass from the heater core will most likely not net you much. I would venture to say it needs to be plumbed full flow from the heater core in order to get anything through it.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok, let's say I do plumb it as full flow. If the filter gets plugged and slows or stops flow through the heater core what would the side effects be? No heat? Overheated engine? Nothing? Mild inconvenience?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Probably worst symptom would be no heat in the cab. most likely will not overheat the engine. Put it in the return line from the heater core. While you are at it, plumb some valves into the heater core lines so you can shut it off and have colder AC in the summer. just make sure you bypass it so it will flow through your filter.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Absolutely on the shutoff valves.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, where are you going to get your filter from? I almost got one from fleetfilter.com awhile back but couldnt swing it.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

My Dad got his from www.dieselsite.com, but I think I am gonna go the eBay route. There are several filter bases on there, and I can come up with the other fittings, filter, and hardware locally.

Last edited by JSPulliam21; 04-14-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd think if you put the RV kit in from PDP and plumbed the thing in there it should work,and supposedly increase cooling on #6
Here's the link,I don't have one,but might put one on when I pull my head to change the headgasket.
94-02 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Cooling Kit Improves Coolant Flow to Cylinder #6

And I don't think you need full flow through the filter,it's all the same juice just getting recirculated,eventually all of it should get filtered I'd think.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Can it be done with the head on? I think not. Full flow is not necessary, but I do not think there is a way to do a bypass. Most of the crud will get filtered out in short order, but the sand just under the surface of the iron, "burn-in", can leach out of the block throughout the life of the engine. Filtering this constant precipitate out of the coolant is the long term benefit of this filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant filter plumbing