Diesel In Distress - Support Ticket Need Help ? Broke Down Or in Urgent Need Of Assistance Post Here , Thread Will Be Priority and You have the ability to close your own thread when its fixed . If You Do Not Reply in 10 Days your thread will be closed as we will assume its fixed , You can Reopen YOUR Discussion Topic if you wish .

'01 Cummins keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Cummins keeps dying

I replaced the factory lift pump less than a year ago on my 2001 Cummins with dodge's in-tank replacement pump because it died and wouldn't start again. However, since then my truck has been randomly dying on me.

It usually happens at low RPM, typically as i'm coming to a stop. After a few long cranks it starts again and I have to rev it up in neutral before shifting back into drive. After that it runs strong until it dies again. This last time it died on me I noticed it surged about a quarter mile before it died at the traffic light.

My dad, who refered me to this site thinks it's still the lift pump as he's read about how the in-tank conversion pump I installed isn't a very good solution. I wanted to get some feedback before I drop another $500 on yet another lift pump.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

run the codes and get back with us

key on
key off
key on
key off
key on ..................read the codes in the odometer window

Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Changed the fuel filter last??

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Fuel Pressure?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Site Mascot

VP death I am guessing.................wait for the codes

Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cms
I replaced the factory lift pump less than a year ago on my 2001 Cummins with dodge's in-tank replacement pump because it died and wouldn't start again. However, since then my truck has been randomly dying on me.

It usually happens at low RPM, typically as i'm coming to a stop. After a few long cranks it starts again and I have to rev it up in neutral before shifting back into drive. After that it runs strong until it dies again. This last time it died on me I noticed it surged about a quarter mile before it died at the traffic light.

My dad, who refered me to this site thinks it's still the lift pump as he's read about how the in-tank conversion pump I installed isn't a very good solution. I wanted to get some feedback before I drop another $500 on yet another lift pump.

Thanks,
Ben

$500 for a stock lift pump

Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Site Mascot

yes...its in the tank and its also the fuel level sender////////they suck to change out

Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I got one code from the odometer P1693. I've been pretty good about changing the fuel filter, it's been about 3 months now on this one. I'll probably change it today. At the moment I don't have any fuel pressure readings.

Btw, I never get a check engine light when it fails on me. That may effect the codes right?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I checked the fuel pressure thanks for the suggestion, and it's only 10 PSI. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one of those FASS pumps because mine isn't doing the job. Yet another testimony that the factory's in tank replacement pump is garbage. It lasted less than a year and who knows how long i've been running on only 10 PSI , it may have never worked correctly. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 01cms; 08-27-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitmore
run the codes and get back with us

key on
key off
key on
key off
key on ..................read the codes in the odometer window

No No No - you need to use an OBDII scanner....

Take a look at his post - he got P1693 which is the companion code - you need the scanner to see what other code(s) are there.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cms
---AutoMerged DoublePost---
[/size][/color]
I checked the fuel pressure thanks for the suggestion, and it's only 10 PSI. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one of those FASS pumps because mine isn't doing the job. Yet another testimony that the factory's in tank replacement pump is garbage. It lasted less than a year and who knows how long i've been running on only 10 PSI , it may have never worked correctly. Thanks for the help!
10 psi is acceptable if its measured at wide open throttle (WOT) - but its not acceptable at idle.

This is just a guess - but your VP-44 might be in need of replacement.

FYI, Airdogs are cheaper than the FASS units and they have a lifetime warranty on the pump.

Quick Reply: '01 Cummins keeps dying