1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

turn key and no start

Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn key and no start

well i got another question guys. every once in a while my truck has been doing this but recently it does it all the time. when i turn my key the truck does nothing. there is no clicking no nothin just silence. i have replaced the starter relay on the drivers side fenderwell. new battery cables, new battery and its got a 3 month old starter on it. any ideas ? its stareting to become a real nuisance.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts
The following users liked this post:
440warwagon (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

i would check the wire on top of the starter and see if its constantly gettin juice when cranking. it could possibly be a bad ignition switch

Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Theres a wire coming off the positive terminal that goes into a plug, I think one is brown and one is red or pink. Check those wires I had one of them wear through and did the same thing. I can't remember which one though. I don't have a dodge at the house or I'd look.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 921stgen
Theres a wire coming off the positive terminal that goes into a plug, I think one is brown and one is red or pink. Check those wires I had one of them wear through and did the same thing. I can't remember which one though. I don't have a dodge at the house or I'd look.
I just went out and checked my 92 and the brown wire goes to the starter solenoid.The pink wire goes to the battery.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Check your clutch switch if you have no power at the brown wire.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Diesel Fan

i really dont believe its the starter contacts cause theres no clicking when i turn the key. i believe im gonna buy another starter relay and also a clutch switch that way everything is new. its not gettin power to the starter i dont believe. does anyone know where the clutch switch is? oh and warwagon thanks alot for that diagram ie looked all over for one of those. thanks guys

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok guys is the clutch switch behind the clutch pedal around a rod? And it has two yellow wires comin off of it. Could u just cut them two wires and join em together and bypass the switch? That way u wouldn't have to push the clutch or nothin. Could u also wire a toggle switch into tht way it could be a safety switch almost that way the truck wouldn't start? Thanks again

Last edited by GeneralC; 01-18-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the clutch switch provides a ground for your starter relay... if thet ground is bad (often are) bypassing the CSS will accomplish nothing...

Find the relay, connect an artificial ground to the terminal with the brown and yellow wire... this will ensure the relay is grounded without hacking your wire harness...

what you could do is use a voltmeter and check for voltage at the connector feeding the CSS - one of the wires should receive battery voltage with the ignition in the crank position.... The other wire should test out as a ground (if it does not show ground add the wire I mentioned in my previous paragraph).

Once you have power going into the CSS, and a ground leaving you should at least hear the relay click when you attempt to crank.. if you do not then you know that either the relay or CSS is bad...

Once you get the realy to click, if the engine still does not turn check for voltage going into the relay (black or red?), if you have battery voltage going into the relay, check for power) leaving (brown?) no power leaving relay = bad relay.

If everything has checked good so far hook the + lead of your voltmeter the the relay output (brown?) and the - lead to the starter solenoid, check the voltage when cranking (or attempting to) it should be .3V (300mV) or less, if it is more you have a bad wire from the relay to solenoid

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest check is to swap relays...
They're all the same so unplug one and use it in place of the starter relay.
If it starts you need a new relay.
If it doesn't - then go further in troubleshooting...

Search this Thread