Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L Discussion of 6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

6.0 blows white smoke, looses coolant, oil out turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.0 blows white smoke, looses coolant, oil out turbo

I have had to have my EGR Cooler changed three times now,I paid for the first and the next two were still under warrenty. They only lasted about 10 months each. Last week it started blowing white smoke again and loosing coolant. I thought it was the EGR cooler again, it's been 8 months this time. Now today, I go to move the truck to the garage and see a streak coming from under the truck. I now have oil running out of the turbo where the metal pipe goes onto the back of it. The metal pipe that goes down the back on the motor. The oil runs out of the clamp

Any ideas would be a big help.

Last edited by ron b; 10-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

what all is done to the truck? and u say the metal pipe going into the back of the turbo? theres one on top, supply, and one on bottom, the return. idk of any metal lines that go down the back of the motor that has oil in it.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM
BOMBARDIER

maybe u can get some pics of it for us?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Diesel Fan

I have had all kinds of problems with this truck...we just put new heads on a month ago.
As for the metal pipe, it is the 3 inch pipe that goes out the rear of the turbo. it is an exhaust pipe that is leaking oil out of the clamp.

Problems one is loosing antifreeze internally and blowing white smoke

problem two is oil leaking out of clamp

Don't know if same problem or different

Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM
BOMBARDIER

the burnin coolant can only be one of 2 things, the egr cooler or head gaskets again. did u stud it when u done head gaskets? did u have the heads decked and checked out?

is it a serious leak out the exhaust clamp, or do u just see some black wetness around the clacmp? if its just a lil, it could be putting enough coolant into the exhaust to make it wet and leak out the clamp. is the exhaust piece ur talking about the up pipes or the down pipe?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The VNT turbos on the 6.0L Fords are notorious for failing. There are several reasons they can go out. More than likely when your EGR cracked the last time you ran some coolant through the turbo, this can heavily score the bearing because the coolant takes all the lubricity out of the oil. Once the bearings in the turbo are scored it is only a matter of time before it dies completely.

The other thing that may be causing the oil to come out of the Down Pipe is the crank case breather design on those trucks. So for example on a Cummins the crank case breather is a tube running out of the top of the valve cover and down the side of the block venting to atmosphere. On the Powerstrokes and the Duramaxes the crank case vent is plumbed into the intake manifold, the problem with this is it puts the vent under constant vacuum and over time you suck oil from the heads into the intake filling the intercooler pipes, intercooler, and eventually the turbo with oil. The turbo should never have oil in the housings, only in the center section. So the oil begines building up on the turbine fins and can cause clipping of the fins on the turbo housing eventually destroying the turbo completely.

I have replaced more stock turbos than I care to remember on those trucks. My personal advice would be to delete the EGR completely and do a crank case reroute which will vent the crank case to a catch can instead of your intake. Here are a few helpful links.

BD BDD1032175 6.0L PowerStroke Crank Case Filter Kit

Sinister MFG. EGR Delete Kit for 03-07 6.0L Ford Power Stroke

Best of luck and I hate to hear that you are going through this. But you are not the only one to have these problems. But there is a fix.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Diesel Fan

biged,

I did not stud with the new heads. And I got brand new heads from Ford so they were not checked. And was was a small strean of oil, yes it was oil and not wetness

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

alligator Vinny,

Thank you for your input. With the EGR Delete, do you still change the oil cooler this time?

Last edited by ron b; 10-11-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You have similar issues spelled out in this issue:

http://www.ntshoptools.com/magazines...063_eprint.pdf

I would get ahold of Bulletproof Diesel

The following users liked this post:
ron b (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ron b

alligator Vinny,

Thank you for your input. With the EGR Delete, do you still change the oil cooler this time?
I always change the oil cooler out at the same time. It is much easier to do while you already have everything apart. If you don't do it when you do the EGR delete it will cost you double in labor to have it doen after everything is put back together.

Originally Posted by PREDATOR
You have similar issues spelled out in this issue:

http://www.ntshoptools.com/magazines...063_eprint.pdf

I would get ahold of Bulletproof Diesel
That is an awesome link! Good read for sure! Thanks, I have installed a few of their aftermarket EGR coolers, mixed reviews though. 2 of them cracked just like the stock ones the other 3 seem to be holding just fine. Their theory makes perfect sense. Increase flow decrease heat

Last edited by Alligator Vinny; 10-11-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
ron b (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Smile

[QUOTE=Alligator Vinny;634914]I always change the oil cooler out at the same time. It is much easier to do while you already have everything apart. If you don't do it when you do the EGR delete it will cost you double in labor to have it doen after everything is put back together.

I wanted to make sure I still have to change the oil cooler with the EGR delete. That's the way I'm gonna go. I ordered of the link you gave.

And labor is free because a friend owes me big time and he is doing it with my help.

Thanks again for your help

Quick Reply: 6.0 blows white smoke, looses coolant, oil out turbo