Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L Discussion of 6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

6.0 egr delete questions

Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6.0 egr delete questions

Hay guys i am new to this page and had a few questions on my 2006 6.0 powerstroke my warranty is getting ready to go out and i was thinking about installing a egr delete on my truck should i do this or not and is there anything special i will need to to to the truck if i do install one. or is there somthing else i need to do first i have as of know MBRP 4" SS exhaust turbo back with cat delete and a airaid cold air intake and i would like to add a edge tuner to it also. Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 630 Likes on 510 Posts

Lets start this right, forget the Edge, get an SCT with custom tuning.

The EGR delete is a great idea. If you do it, you will get a check engine light. SCT will take care of that CEL, since the custom tunes have the EGR function turned off. Edge will not do that.

SCT tunes the transmission, Edge does not.

I'd look into a coolant filter from www.dieselsite.com it will catch all the sand from the block, and prevent the oil cooler from plugging.

Do you have gauges now? If not, save for some and get some good gauges. Despite what most people have, I would get Fuel pressure (most important gauge), pyro, engine coolant temp and oil coolant temp. I wouldn't bother with tranny temp unless you're towing a lot. Engine and coolant temps are great to monitor to tell you when your oil cooler is plugging. This is what leads to headgasket failure most of the time.

What EGR delete kits were you looking at? There has been a few good threads recently about delete setups, try reading into those.

Feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Mdub.
where is a good palce to buy guages at with a pillar? I have the 07 F350 6.0 and cant find a single palce that I can just buy them all at once. Fuel guage, pyro, oil and engine with a pillar?
Also what does the SCT monitor? Does it show temps for anything? Just waiting to hit 100k then Ill get an egr delete since I do not ahve to smog my truck till 2013. But looking to et other things asap like the oil cooler. Later the SCT. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
BOMBARDIER

Most of the vendors on here should be able to help you. The only vendor I've worked with out of Cali is Browns diesel. I know dieselmanor.com has great deals on gauge packages, but check with some of the sponsors/vendors on here, I'm sure they can get you a good deal.

The SCT x-cal 3 is just a handheld programmer and doesn't monitor anything by itself, but you can get the livewire which will. You can however download the free software on SCT's page, and then hook your programmer up to your truck on one end and to your labtop via usb cable to the other and then monitor live time, and even export to excel files. I've used it a few times. I prefer the stand-alone gauges though, so no need to monitor anything with the tuner.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor- Jags Diesel
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep I agree forget the Edge unless you want problems. The SCT live wire comes with egr shut off capibility right from sct. Do the egr delete. Put the SCT in it. I personaly would go with a s&b intake with dry filter myself. Just my two cents.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well if i go with the sct is it ready to use right out of the box or do i need to program my own custom tunes and which sct should i get i see that there is several to chose from. Just wanted to get the edge b/c that is what all my buds have and they love it and it also takes care of all your guages but if it will not delete the egr i do not need it

Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor- Jags Diesel
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The sct live wire is a guage interface also. The programing will beat an Edge all day. It also is easier on the trans due to you can set for firmer shifts, lockup, and WOT shifts.
And yes it is ready to rock right out of the box. You'l have two tow tunes, street tune and a performance tune.
If you get the sct it won't be long and your budies will be throwing the Edge away and getting sct's.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
BOMBARDIER

I strongly suggest buying the SCT from a reputable tuner like Innovative diesel. Purchasing through them gets you three custom tunes for free. Getting the SCT without the custom tunes is almost a moot point. You WANT the custom tunes. Do it once and do it right! Call them up and tell them and talk to them, they will answer all your questions and get you set up.

Edge = CRAPOLA. They had decent power back in the day, but destroyed transmissions. Now to alleviate that problem, they've just backed the power off. Get an SCT with an extreme street or race tune, and blow those edge trucks your buddies have out of the water. Even if they can run close to you, it wont be for long, because their transmissions have got to be hating life. The only thing on your truck that might not last is rear tires.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Since this post is 3.5 years old I was wondering if this is still peoples opinion. I am going to delete my EGR valve and wondering about what SCT tuner is the best one to get?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Any sct from a reputable company is good. There are advertisers on here like innovative have done a great job of building power reliably. Talk to your supplier and they will custom tune for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 egr delete questions