Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L Discussion of 6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

06 f250 6.0L cranks, no start

Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 06 f250 6.0L cranks, no start

first time user, try to be brief! my 06 f250 was running and starting fine drove home the other day went back out the next day would not start, just turns over. i have checked all fuses and tesed relays. i checked for any wire chafing on harness on motor. did ficm test and im reading 47 volts, i took out and resoldered all the spots just to be on the safe side. havent done computer test as the truck will have to be towed, my computer programmer reads dtc codes and what shows up is crank pos. sensor and cylinder #1 fault. but i read alot of post and they said theres was showing that and it didnt fix the prob. i appreciate any feedback, lost and confused!!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 630 Likes on 510 Posts

Crank position sensor would definitley cause truck to not start. What was the exact codes? I'm curious about that cylinder #1 fault. When you tested the FICM, did it read that voltage with key on, then cranking, then running? Need to test in all 3 scenarios. Especially since you've soldered it, make sure the solder job worked. How many miles on this truck and what is it primarily used for?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM

p0263,p0335,p0299,p1000 this is all codes. the mileage is 163,000 and i use it for a personal and work vehicle but mainly i drive it back and forth to the jobsites about 150 to 200 miles a day. the ficm ready 47 with key on and drops to 46 when turning over. but will not crank so dont know what it reads running

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh and im not sure if it matters or not but the far right screws is the one i was told to test on ficm nd its right but the far left screw only read 0 in all areas

Last edited by kthroop; 01-17-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM

ok, towed truck to shop and had computer test done and found out that ipr was bad and they looked up there and it was leaking. is there anyway to fix it, or does it just have to be replaced? thanks for the info!!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
BOMBARDIER

Just replace it, they're not that expensive. They're $125 on ebay.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM

ok thanks, and you think that this would cause my no start?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by kthroop
p0263,p0335,p0299,p1000 this is all codes. the mileage is 163,000 and i use it for a personal and work vehicle but mainly i drive it back and forth to the jobsites about 150 to 200 miles a day. the ficm ready 47 with key on and drops to 46 when turning over. but will not crank so dont know what it reads running

oh and im not sure if it matters or not but the far right screws is the one i was told to test on ficm nd its right but the far left screw only read 0 in all areas
Originally Posted by kthroop
ok thanks, and you think that this would cause my no start?

Probably not, but if it's leaking it needs to be replaced either way. Take it off, maybe there is a copper washer or something you can try replacing first. IPR is just a valve, it can be taken apart and cleaned, might want to try that I guess. I'd just buy a new one for the cost of it though.

I overlooked your check engine codes so lets assess those.

P0263 is cylinder 1 contribution, probably bad injector...
p0335 is crank shaft position sensor, this is probably what is causing truck to not run
P0299 is turbo underboost code. Since you have an 06 you have factory boost gauge, what was it reading? Any issues with it before? Is truck stock, does it smoke at all? Turbo may just need a cleaning
P1000 is nothing. no worries, that will go away on it's own.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM

no issues with the turbo boost,no smoke anytime. the shop told me that the ipr measures the oil pressure to make the injectors work and if that is bad they wont fire. they said that the crank pos. sensor didnt show up on there test, it showed up on my dtc code from my programmer though.so in you opinion which sounds right to you? i replaced all the injectors about 6 months ago!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
BOMBARDIER

From my knowledge on the subject, the IPR was more of a valve that controlled the flow, but didn't determine exactly what to do when, the IPC (injector pressure control) sensor is what tells the IPR what to do. You may be able to just clean the IPR out (I believe there is a screen in there... never had to take one out myself yet). If it's leaking, you might as well just replace the thing.

Crank position sensor will tell the injectors when to fire too, my guess is still on that, but I can not rule out the IPR as it is a problem too. When you replace the IPR and it still doesn't run, then replace the crankshaft position sensor.

Did you clear all of the codes after you read them? How come you got them to come up and they didn't?

What are you reading codes with?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM

yes i erased them and when i read them the irp code wasnt showing. all i have is my on dash programmer and it shows any dtc that are malfunctioning. i may try to pull the irp tomorrow and see if there is junk on the screen, im just not sure how to get it to stop leaking. and i will try to get a cank sensor and change it. hopefully it is just a screen cause trying to be cheap right now, work being slow and all.

do you know what special tool it takes to get the irp out?

ok, took out ipr valve today and screen was broke through and there was a few little black hard pieces laying in there. i changed the screen out and got all the little pieces out of there. is there anything else that needs to be done to it before i put it in. or anyway to tell if this one is bad? please help, trying to get out of buying a new one if possible. been without the truck for a week now and just getting aggrevated.thanks

i put ipr back in today and still no start. called a diesel mechanic here in my town and he says if the screen was broke and little pieces were in there, then the hpop is probably bad. any suggestions or info to help me figure this out. im lost and dont know what else to try, dont have the money to take to shop for them to fix. thanks

Last edited by kthroop; 01-21-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
CAMAROSS125 (08-26-2011)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 f250 6.0L cranks, no start