5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2006 Dodge 3500 accelerates on its own.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge 3500 accelerates on its own.

With foot on the brake and put into drive or reverse the engine starts to accelerate and can just barely hold it. Does not do it every time... any suggestions....Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apps sensor would be my first guess

Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my guess would be the throttle positioning Sensor. parents have an 04 that was messing up and my brother has an 03 that takes off on him like yous is doing. is it throwing any codes?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Diesel Fan

https://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel...upport-ticket/

Thread title is 06 megacab 3500 trans problem?
Sounds like we have the same problem, but going in two different directions on the cause.

Last edited by colemantaxidermy; 01-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Diesel Fan

apps, accelerator pedal position sensor, mine had the same problem, i think yours is down by the pedal, check for codes like 1223, 1227

Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

I have to chuckle every time one of these threads comes along and there is 15 post on APPS, TPS,and the TC lockup clutch engaging.

These trucks haven't had a TPS since the mechanical systems went away and the APPS on the newer trucks very, very, seldom go bad. They are double wired for inputs and the ECU has the final say about the output. It will smooth the signal until it is way out of synch then go into limp mode. With the throttle closed the APPS is reading zero and has no input to the engine to rev it. If it was reading a signal the engine would never idle down. When an APPS goes far enough out of synch the engine goes to limp mode and defaults to idle.

If anybody thinks its the lockup solenoid engaging go put a lockup switch into the system and engage it. Slowing down with the TC lockup engaged the truck will literally jump off the ground when trying to stop. Going from neutral or park to drive will kill the engine NOW. There is no doubt when it is a lockup solenoid problem.

That said, there are 2 areas in the TC that are problematic especially on a stock TC: lockup apply piston and stator sprag.

The apply piston can warp and leak pressure against it that can at times partially apply the piston. If that happens it will happen all the time and drag all the time.

A biigger and much more frequent problem is the stator sprag locking up when it is not supposed to at an idle or low rpm. What you then have is a no stall converter that is loading the engine while it tries to maintain idle rpm. It won't show up until you go from neutral or park to a gear then it tries to go. The trans will usually work perfectly at cruise and after you get to 35 mph or so. It will also happen intermittently if the sprag does not seize completely.

The 06's have a bigger issue than the other years but it can happen to any of these trucks. The OE TC takes a beating from the TQ.

almost always when the truck wants to pull thru the brakes at an idle in gear, shifts fine once oyur up to speed, and is doggy off the line its time for a new TC.

The following 3 users liked this post by cerberus60:
colemantaxidermy (01-25-2011), harry22 (01-24-2011), utahdodge (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Default 2001 Dodge Diesel TC issue

Need help with 2001 Dodge Diesel TC issue. I read a post by cerberus60 find that you know what you're talking about. When I put my foot on the brake and put my auto trans into drive the engine accelerates. I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new TC, but they tried to sale me a complete transmission job. The dealer said they checked the solenoids and they check out okay. Should I try to change the TC solenoid 1st? Thanks

Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Diesel Fan

cerberus60 was right about my 06 I was having problems with. I don't know if the 01 model has the same problems or not. I replaced the solenoids in mine and was a waist of time. Replaced the TC just like cerberus60 suggested and it runs like a top.
Shop around on ebay if you need one. I got a brand new one (factory) for $200.00 shipped to my door.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by utahdodge
Should I try to change the TC solenoid 1st? Thanks
Nope, waste of money. The TC is likely the problem from your symptoms. There is a possibility the TC could shed metal into the trans when it locks like that but unless you find a bunch in the pan just change the TC and run it.

Make sure you flush or get a new front cooler as that will be where a lot of the metal, if any,hangs up at and could cause heating problems down the road

Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Default Just making shore I'm on the rite page

Originally Posted by cerberus60
I have to chuckle every time one of these threads comes along and there is 15 post on APPS, TPS,and the TC lockup clutch engaging.

These trucks haven't had a TPS since the mechanical systems went away and the APPS on the newer trucks very, very, seldom go bad. They are double wired for inputs and the ECU has the final say about the output. It will smooth the signal until it is way out of synch then go into limp mode. With the throttle closed the APPS is reading zero and has no input to the engine to rev it. If it was reading a signal the engine would never idle down. When an APPS goes far enough out of synch the engine goes to limp mode and defaults to idle.

If anybody thinks its the lockup solenoid engaging go put a lockup switch into the system and engage it. Slowing down with the TC lockup engaged the truck will literally jump off the ground when trying to stop. Going from neutral or park to drive will kill the engine NOW. There is no doubt when it is a lockup solenoid problem.

That said, there are 2 areas in the TC that are problematic especially on a stock TC: lockup apply piston and stator sprag.

The apply piston can warp and leak pressure against it that can at times partially apply the piston. If that happens it will happen all the time and drag all the time.

A biigger and much more frequent problem is the stator sprag locking up when it is not supposed to at an idle or low rpm. What you then have is a no stall converter that is loading the engine while it tries to maintain idle rpm. It won't show up until you go from neutral or park to a gear then it tries to go. The trans will usually work perfectly at cruise and after you get to 35 mph or so. It will also happen intermittently if the sprag does not seize completely.

The 06's have a bigger issue than the other years but it can happen to any of these trucks. The OE TC takes a beating from the TQ.

almost always when the truck wants to pull thru the brakes at an idle in gear, shifts fine once oyur up to speed, and is doggy off the line its time for a new TC.
Hello Damon here it may sound dum just making shore when you are talking about oe tc what are you talking about the reason I ask my truck is doing same dam thing and ready to take it for a ride

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge 3500 accelerates on its own.