Chevy/GMC Duramax 01-04 LB7 Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with LB7 Duramax Turbo Diesel Engines

No Start on my 03 Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Start on my 03 Duramax

Ok, New to the site, but I'm out of ideas. I have an 03 Durmax that was a hard start now is a no start. Here is the very lengthy history on this. about 7 months ago, I started getting a extended crank start. Replaced the fuel filter, problem was better for about a week or so. Problem got worse when the weather was hotter and the motor got hotter. It would get to the point where I had to use starting fuel to get it to start... I know all the bad stuff that can happen, don't need a lecture. I took it to the dealership here in Wichita, KS they changed the fuel filter, put it on the machine and everything checked out. Injectors were fine balace rate was fine...everything checked out. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the motor, but did witness the extended crank start. The EXPERTS at GM told the dealership to check my fuel, and it was borderline what they considered acceptable. I changed fuel, used high volume gas stations and the problem was still there. Dealership also said I might have a cracked fuel filter housing. I replaced that. NO good, just a $550 fuel filter change. Problem has gotten worse. Now it will only start with starting fluid unless I remove and replace the fuel filter and the fuel supply line the the fuel filter housing, and reprime. The the truck starts and runs just like it should for about a day. I also installed a raptor 100 lift pump with no help. Any suggestions

Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM

wish i could help but im having the exact same problem with my 03 hope somebody can help with this. im new here but seems theres alot of input on this site thats very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
zbructo (10-10-2013)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: No Start on my 03 Duramax

It realy sounds to me like its loosing prime somewhere, I would have a buddy help me and pressurize the tank with an air gun and go through and check for any leaks, then I would probably pull the lines and blow through them checking for any restrictions. How does the fuel filter look every time you change it? Is there a lot of junk in there?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM

That's what I was thinking. I've already pressurized the tank, also installed the lift pump and still no leaks anywhere. The filters always look good, never found any debris or anything else in the filters.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM

yup i just changed mine aghain same deal starting fine for now grrrrrrrrrrrr really frustrating. cut the old one apart and all was fine not clog at all. hope some other ideas come in any help would be great.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Diesel Wrench
Default Re: No Start on my 03 Duramax

First I would make sure the lift pump is working all the time check the ground carefully! Next time it does ut without doing anything else crack the bleeder and manualy prime it. Check all the grounds on the truck, im assuming there isn't any codes. If all that checks out possibly the ficm is bad but I don't know for sure? Just throwing things out there to try and hopefully hit it sooner or later . What is the rail pressure at? Could it possibly be a failing cp3 or maybe a fpr?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 AM

i have codes in mine 1093,0380;0101 i just dont no were to start and dont want to keep i no it a glow plug code ,mass air,and fpr maybe? would the fpr cause this?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts

the fpr would cause erratic fuel delivery to the rails

Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Diesel Wrench

i wonder if your glow plugs are even working, they have a bad rep of the connecting bar rotting out and only letting a couple work might want to check that! the glow plugs have power going into the drivers side iirc, and then through the bar to all of them, then jumps to the passenger side and does the same thing. if it rots out somewhere on the drivers side you could have 4 or less! might be your problem

The following users liked this post:
lyager (01-25-2012)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:47 PM

would that effect starts even when its warm? i will take a look and see if i can see anything corroded or broke. thanks for all the input. my first desiel and not to impressed yet. when it starts its great but other than that

Quick Reply: No Start on my 03 Duramax