5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Fan clutch wiring PLEASE HELP

Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan clutch wiring PLEASE HELP

k so the wires on my fan clutch got sucked through my fan but only the plug on the clutch side got wrecked but i have lots of wire left i went to wire it back together but my problem is the wires that go back to ecm are different colors of the ones to the clutch and the clutch has six wires but the other only has five could anyone help me with a schematic of the wiring or that knows how the colors go PLEASE HELP im out of a truck till i get this fixed and cant afford a new fan clutch

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh sorry this is on my 04 dodge

Last edited by ChavensTrucking; 06-20-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ok let me just say i have been in your shoes but when mine got cut the pipe they run through went through my power steering pump pulley and lets just say it got ugly. now you can put it back together the way the dealer had it or LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE. i ended up doing this job 3 times. just go get you a new fan clutch and some radiator zip ties all the different colors of wires some solder heat shrink, and electric tape. take the wires on the new clutch and cut them and extend them about 6-9 inches and solder them back together use some heat shrink and electric tape on the extended harness and reroute the wires zip tieing them to the radiator trust me on this i did the job 3 times in one weekend i talked to a guy i know at the dealer and he told me that once they start this they keep doing it alot even if you change the fan it will still do it so just fix it the better way the first time LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE

Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cummins army,
Do you have or can you take a pic of your wire routing? I have the same issue with my '04.5 and would prefer to fix it right the first time.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i wish i could but at this current time good old uncle sam has me in the big ol sand box. the best thing i can tell you to do is to make sure the wires run all the way out the bottom of the fan shroud and mount flush i can not stress that enough flush flush flush against the radiator with your extra wire for play and wiggle room to be out the bottom if i remember correctly i ran mine to the driver side of the radiator at an angle on the way down so when i got to the bottom i was as close as i could be to the harness for the rest of the truck.
i really wish i could help you guys more with pics i need to start taking pics of stuff like that when i do it but if you have any knowledge of routing wires and keeping them intact you should be able to figure it out with no problem i will definitely have to take pics when i get home but that wont be till February sorry i really wish i could help

Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Diesel Fan

I got the wires all back together and its working great but when it happened my a/c cut out and the orange light in the dash doesnt even light up i thought maybe when i got the fan hooked up again it would start working but i wasnt so fortunate any i deas? i already check the fuses and relay their fine

as for dynomite the wiring runs brown with blue stripe to white, grey with pink stripe to red, blue with geen stripe to black, yellow with orange stripe to orange, brown with orange to green hope that helps you man

Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

when it comes to your a/c i don't know if the wires getting cut had anything to do with it but as soon as it happened to me my a/c compressor went out also but just to let you know everything happened at the same time
wires cut on the a/c pipe the wires went through went through the power steering pump pulley and wrapped completely around the pulley 1 1/2 times then to top it off the tensioner pulley arm broke in half this all happened at the same time so it was a pretty costly endeavor for me

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Diesel Fan

oh **** son ya you had a good run of bad luck there, all my wires seem good on the pump but i may have too look a little closer make sure none got pulled out thanks for all your help man, where did you say you were?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

right now i am in iraq and have quite a bit more time to spend over here but when i go back i will be going to fairbanks, alaska but i call texas home

Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cummins army thanks for the reply, sorry for my tardiness in replying to you! First off let me say... Rock on brother for keeping my safe by risking yours!! I really appreciate all that you have to sacrifice to keep me and my family safe. Secondly no worries on the pics, I did some digging and poking around and think I have a decent route figured out.

Get back here safe and sound and we will call it even for the missing pics.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Diesel Fan

Kinda off subject, but how can you tell if clutch is out. My truck has been spiking into 210. Its hot and I am unloaded I fell it should not be spiking. I checked the fan at cold start up and it was spinning, when I got home and it was at operational temp, fan was just spinning. I thought it should be loud as hell when engaged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan clutch wiring PLEASE HELP