Chevy/GMC Duramax 01-04 LB7 Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with LB7 Duramax Turbo Diesel Engines

How can I make more power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How can I make more power?

What all would I need to make 400hp outta my lb7 an not be breaking parts. So far all I have is an Edge Juice with Attitude. The rest of the truck is stock.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With stage 6 unlocked u should be close to 370 rwhp. Stock rwhp is about 250 the edge adds 120 on stage 6. If u still want more i would say get your edge reprogramed with efi live. Other than that work on air flow. The more of the black smoke u can clear up the more power u will get out of it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

EFI live will definitely get ya there but you would have to worry about your trans then. Id throw at least a new down pipe on it to help with your egts and flow a little better.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

I'd like to get level 6 for my edge but worried that my stock allison and stock injectors won't handle it. I'd like to get EFI but don't know of any shops in West Virginia to tune it. Could i get a stainless down pipe for it cause i'm also lookin for a stainless system for it also.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be worried about the fuel system and the tranny. I would not run that tune without a lift pump. If you do for any period of time a new cp3 will be in your future.

When you run big tunes like that your draining rail pressure and introducing air into the fuel system. Lb7 cp3's and injectors don't like air.

As far as the trans what's the point of having that kind of power if you can't use it.

My advice buy an airdog or fass system and upgrade the trans then play awhile before you brake something internal.
Everybody will tell you 400-500 is fine daily driving but I personally disagree. I don't have the self control to stay out of it.

I'm gonna run my truck on the moderate tune for awhile. When I can afford a new one I'll crank the boost and mess around

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have been running with stage 6 for a while now on stock fuel system and it keeps up just fine. U might want to think about a upgraded valve body or tranny upgrades to help it hold the power.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto

I would be more worried about the trans as well before the injectors as well... If you want to run EFI live but worried about tuning it, I would look into a DSP5 switch. If you wanna do that much then you will definitely need a lift pump of some sort, plus trans work as well!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Would I need to get the whole tranny built or just a new clutch setup? After I get a lift pump would I need to get bigger injectors? Sorry bout so many qustions just I don't want a totally built truck I just figured 400hp would be plenty to play with.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If ur goona be into the tranny u might as well put some money into it so it will hold up so u dont have to go back into it again. Put a moderate tranny kit into it, just let the tranny shop what u want to do with the truck and they should be able to give u what u want. I would start with a new tranny valve body because it can be changed without removing the tranny then go from there. The lift pump only suplies fuel to your injection pump there is no need to replace injectors unless u want to.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto

Well put cfarley If your in the trans just build the whole damn thing so you dont have to do it again. Once you get bored with the power you have now you WILL want more... Trust me horsepower is an addiction

Quick Reply: How can I make more power?