Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Discussion of 99-03 7.3 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

EBPV sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBPV sticking?

New to the turbo diesels, have a few symptoms/questions:

I know the valve is designed to close up in cold weather to aid in engine warm up, etc..

At first the noise freaked me out, as this is my first winter owning a diesel. Figured out its ok, blah blah... but then i noticed a few times recently (even though its been quite warm this winter) that after a bit of block heater action and then warm up with the engine running, I went to go driving and had no boost pressure, really no acceleration (i swear it took 5 minutes to reach 10mph). The temp gauge was pointing around the C mark, so its not like it was terribly cold still, and outside temps were maybe the high 20's. I looked down whrre the EBPV is and seems like a lot of fresh lookin oil under the exhaust turbo, I'm wondering if there is a leak in the pedestal, or if the solenoid or wiring is bad, or carbon build up in the exhaust boot where the turbo meets the downpipe. Or if i'm an idiot and I'm explaining it wrong.

Another thing is, even though it is warm out, the truck is at full engine warmth, my exhaust sounds very raspy and "airy" I guess you would say without the typical diesel rumble. Feels like a loss of power.

any direction you can point me to check on things would help

Travis

Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

well the air raspy sound is probably the EBPV. the EBP sensor and tube could be clogged. which will give the PCM a false reading. try cleaning out the tube and sensor.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by fordornothing
well the air raspy sound is probably the EBPV. the EBP sensor and tube could be clogged. which will give the PCM a false reading. try cleaning out the tube and sensor.
The tube as in the downpipe coming out of the exhaust turbo? I'm assuming some carbon build up may occur there or around where that butterfly valve is for the EBPV

Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Diesel Bomber

no... the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor. this sits at the front of the engine, pretty much on top of the water pump. then there is a small tube, appx. 1/4" dia. it goes from the front end of the passenger side exhaust manifold to the sensor. you can see the line thru the passenger fender well. remove the sensor and take a air nozzle and bloe down the line and blow all the soot out into the manifold, or you can remove the line and take a piece of string trimmer line and some brake clean and clean the inside of the line. then take the line and poke it thru into the manifold to clear any soot build up in there. don't use brake clean on that. now it is common for these lines to break. when you slean the sensor, use a piece of trimmer line and carefully scrape the inside of the sensor. it is a diaphram so if you poke thru it then you need a new sensor. if you do need either of these parts, Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Ford 7.3 diesel | 7.3 powerstroke | Ford Powerstroke | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts has them. as far as the oil goes, it could be the pedistol O- rings going out, or the EBP cylinder could be leaking. that is common too.

The following users liked this post:
airblaster33 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Diesel Fan

no... the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor. this sits at the front of the engine, pretty much on top of the water pump. then there is a small tube, appx. 1/4" dia. it goes from the front end of the passenger side exhaust manifold to the sensor. you can see the line thru the passenger fender well. remove the sensor and take a air nozzle and bloe down the line and blow all the soot out into the manifold, or you can remove the line and take a piece of string trimmer line and some brake clean and clean the inside of the line. then take the line and poke it thru into the manifold to clear any soot build up in there. don't use brake clean on that. now it is common for these lines to break. when you slean the sensor, use a piece of trimmer line and carefully scrape the inside of the sensor. it is a diaphram so if you poke thru it then you need a new sensor. if you do need either of these parts, Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Ford 7.3 diesel | 7.3 powerstroke | Ford Powerstroke | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts has them. as far as the oil goes, it could be the pedistol O- rings going out, or the EBP cylinder could be leaking. that is common too.

Oh, ok. Sorry for the newbie status, I don't have much experience with turbos/diesels and related parts. Much help though! Could be the EBPV leaking oil out of the piston o ring (someone had told me its a butterfly valve, I dont know..) is what riffraff says on their site. eek sounds like it may be a little over my head rebuilding that, but I'll try unclogging with your advice, and I will get back with info if that is the problem. Thank god i have about 10,000 feet in trimmer line

Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Diesel Bomber

here is how the EBPV works, it's a electric celinoid, oil actuated. the "ram is part of the turbo pedistol. then the "ram" has a linkage that goes to the butterfly valve. so when the PCM sends power to the celinoid, it opens up an then it closes the valve. so yes, there is a butterfly valve.

The following users liked this post:
airblaster33 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan

here is how the EBPV works, it's a electric celinoid, oil actuated. the "ram is part of the turbo pedistol. then the "ram" has a linkage that goes to the butterfly valve. so when the PCM sends power to the celinoid, it opens up an then it closes the valve. so yes, there is a butterfly valve.
It's all making more sense now with the leaking of the oil(EBPV) all under the turbo. I've been asking friends, family, aliens, and God what could be the problem, hell I took it to the stealership and told them my issues (as well as my 4wd doesnt engage half the time and when it does there is a grinding/vibration when hubs are locked (replaced factory with new premium warm) and i throw the 4wd shifter into 4hi... and they said everything is fine... and its not.. believed to be U joints? hmm)

Ford said the noise is normal, which I understand most of thats the EBPV, but you would think they would actually open the hood and use their eyes to see the oil... thanks man much appreciated

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Diesel Bomber

I will not let the Stealer ship touch my pickup. Unless its warranty recall.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Diesel Fan

I will not let the Stealer ship touch my pickup. Unless its warranty recall.
yeah that was the original motive for going there, some speed control somethin or other.. i figured i gotta leave it overnight, can they start it up cold, let it run and check it after its warm... ek

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Diesel Bomber

hey me to! i just had mine done. for the 4WD, you have a floor shift? there are 2 bolts where the bracket bolts to the side of the tranny, then ckeck the linkage. also, there is a pinch bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage. for the grinding, check the diff oil.