Ford Powerstroke 2011-Up 6.7L Discussion of 6.7 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

6.7 Powerstroke Vs 6.7 Cummins

Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6.7 Powerstroke Vs 6.7 Cummins

What do you guys think?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Vs each other for what exactly?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Performance

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Diesel Wrench

I'd say they're pretty close in performance. either or is going to have a lot of *****. What i don't like is, i've read a lot of horror stories going on with ford. I've also had first hand experience with a brand new ford lifting the head and blowing all the coolant out the tail pipe.

I have a good friend who works for ford who says the new lift pumps are blowing up and sending all the shards down the line into the engine thus blowing it up. And the worst part is ford is not covering it under their warranty. He also told me to stay the hell away from buying a new one.

I love ford, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Next truck i buy will be a dodge cummins.

The following 2 users liked this post by LORDDiESEL:
Gas (04-26-2012), tiremann9669 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 630 Likes on 510 Posts

For all out performance, I will say the 6.7 cummins is going to be ahead right now. It's been out longer, and a lot of parts from the 5.9's work, so in that regard they have the upperhand no doubt.

If you were actually on some of the Ford forums, you'd see there are VERY few complaints about the 6.7 powerstroke. However I read a LOT about problems with the 6.7 cummins.

There are also several compound turbo kits available now for the 6.7 powerstroke. Is it tight under the hood? Of course it is, there's a lot going on under there. Doesn't mean it's impossible to do anything, just requires more thinking.

500hp has been done already with just a tuner... They just run out of air after that, thus the compound kits out there. Industrial Injection has a kit, and SPE will have a VERY nice kit out soon, if not out already. Keep an eye out for those guys. 6.4's are making more like 600 on a tune FYI.

I suggest you do some of your own research on each respected motors forums. Talk to the Dodge guys about the Dodge (excuse me, the ram), and the Ford guys about the powerstroke.

Last edited by Mdub707; 03-06-2012 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
03Powerstroke (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL
I'd say they're pretty close in performance. either or is going to have a lot of *****. What i don't like is, i've read a lot of horror stories going on with ford. I've also had first hand experience with a brand new ford lifting the head and blowing all the coolant out the tail pipe.

I have a good friend who works for ford who says the new lift pumps are blowing up and sending all the shards down the line into the engine thus blowing it up. And the worst part is ford is not covering it under their warranty. He also told me to stay the hell away from buying a new one.

I love ford, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Next truck i buy will be a dodge cummins.
You clearly haven't been reading up on 6.7 cummins either if you think the powerstrokes are troublesome.

Where are all these horror stories you're reading? I've read about a few turbo issues on the cab and chassis trucks, but those turbo's aren't even the same one's that come on the 250/350 trucks. There were less than a handful of major engine failures on the boards from what I saw, and Ford replaced entire engines. Seems that issue has gone away. Most guys are recording near 20mpg stock with these things too. Go read about the cummins a little bit, I'd never buy a 6.7. 5.9 commonrail would be my choice.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by Mdub707
You clearly haven't been reading up on 6.7 cummins either if you think the powerstrokes are troublesome.

Where are all these horror stories you're reading? I've read about a few turbo issues on the cab and chassis trucks, but those turbo's aren't even the same one's that come on the 250/350 trucks. There were less than a handful of major engine failures on the boards from what I saw, and Ford replaced entire engines. Seems that issue has gone away. Most guys are recording near 20mpg stock with these things too. Go read about the cummins a little bit, I'd never buy a 6.7. 5.9 commonrail would be my choice.
Trust me, i bleed ford blue. My whole family does. My father still owns his grandfathers 1949 F1 ford pickup which he bought brand new off the lot. And my father will leave it to me. I love ford, But all the men in our pretty big family have been pissed ever since the 6.0. The 6.4 lasted a whole 3 years. And the family members who have bought the new 6.7 are not happy either.

I know cummins has emissions problems, as the big three all do. But as soon as you take care of that, it's all cummins from there.

There's a reason why ford doesn't use it's own engine in it's F650/F750. It's junk. Plain and simple. Ford uses the same 6.7 cummins you can buy in a 3/4 or 1 ton Ram.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by 617.95
All related to the emissions systems. Get rid of the EGR and DPF and its every bit as reliable as the 5.9 was.

You clearly haven't been reading up on 6.7 cummins either. The 6.7 is the same engine as the CR 5.9 but with a larger bore and stroke.
There's a lot more different than just that.

There's no doubt most of the troubles from these motors come from the emissions equipment. However I'd be tempted to leave the urea injection on the powerstroke, since it aid's in mileage. However let's not forget that not everyone lives in a state where they can easily remove all of the emissions equipment and still have a road legal vehicle. Do we know where the OP is from? A 5.9 might be a far better option than a 6.7 if that's the case.

How are two engines the same if one has a larger bore and stroke? The heads are different are they not? Seems a lot of guys are putting 12V heads on their 6.7's too.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2011 powerstroke and a 2012 Cummins.

I blew the head gausket on my 2010 cummins at 30K never sled pulled with it, I did tow heavy but none of the previous 5.9's never had any problems when I traded them off at a 100K

The 6.7 cummins still has a lot of emission problems especially for the city/occasional tower. And for us heavy haulers the head gauskets are giving out at 30 to 50K Delete kit will take care of all the problems except for the head gausket.

I am putting on a external wastegate on my cummins right now. And I am going to put studs on right away

So far the powerstroke with 8000 miles has done nothing but impress me. Dam good on fuel and it pulls great. If I had to choose 1 truck and I had to leave it stock, it would be the ford

Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Hummin Cummins
I have a 2011 powerstroke and a 2012 Cummins.

I blew the head gausket on my 2010 cummins at 30K never sled pulled with it, I did tow heavy but none of the previous 5.9's never had any problems when I traded them off at a 100K

The 6.7 cummins still has a lot of emission problems especially for the city/occasional tower. And for us heavy haulers the head gauskets are giving out at 30 to 50K Delete kit will take care of all the problems except for the head gausket.

I am putting on a external wastegate on my cummins right now. And I am going to put studs on right away

So far the powerstroke with 8000 miles has done nothing but impress me. Dam good on fuel and it pulls great. If I had to choose 1 truck and I had to leave it stock, it would be the ford
That's interesting... thanks for sharing. I know the 6.4 guys are using wastegates quite a bit, but that's usually only with real hot tunes and full egr cooler deletes, since the coolers are essentially the gates stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 Powerstroke Vs 6.7 Cummins